This Privacy Notice describes how HVG Parent Corp. dba Hippo Veterinary Group and its subsidiaries and affiliates (collectively referred to as “we” or “our”) collect, use, and disclose your Personal Information when you visit or provide information via our websites (collectively, “Sites“).
Before submitting information or using the Sites, please review this Privacy Notice carefully. If you do not agree to the terms of this Privacy Notice, please do not provide us with any Personal Information and do not use any of the Sites. By using the Sites or providing information to Hippo or its affiliates (collectively, “Hippo”) via the Site, you consent to the terms of this Privacy Notice and Hippo’s use of information as described herein. However, as described below, all users have the right to know what information is collected, used, shared or sold, how to request modification or deletion of certain information, and how to opt-out of the sale of personal information (if applicable). Furthermore, all users have right not to be discriminated against with respect to price or quality of service for exercising any such rights.
1. What information do the Sites collect?
There are several types of information gathered when using a website, including information that the user voluntarily provides and information that is collected through automatic data collection technology (collectively referred to herein as “User Data“), which may include Personal Information and Sensitive Personal Information.
“Personal Information” is information that identifies, relates to, describes, is reasonably capable of being associated with, or could reasonably be linked, directly or indirectly, with a particular consumer or household such as name, phone number, email address and Sensitive Personal Information, which includes anything that reveals a social security number, state identification number, driver’s license number, passport number, account log-ins, precise geolocation data, the contents of mail, email or text messages (unless the business is the intended recipient), racial, ethnic origin or genetic data, biometric data, religious or philosophical beliefs, financial account details in combination that gives access to an account, health data, and union membership.
1.1 Information You Provide to Us
We receive and store any information you knowingly provide to us, which may include the following categories of information:
- Personal and Sensitive Personal Information, such as:
- Personal identifiers including:
- first and last name;
- email address;
- physical address;
- driver’s license information;
- date of birth;
- citizenship information;
- telephone numbers;
- geolocation data, such as IP addresses
- education information; and/or
- history of felony convictions
- Personal identifiers including:
- Business Information, such as:
- Correspondence, such as queries and information you post on the Sites or provide via means other than the Sites, including blogs, social media sites, email, or other online and offline communications, which may include information from which inferences can be drawn about your preferences, characteristics, psychological trends, predispositions, behavior, attitudes, intelligence, abilities and aptitudes; and/or
- Other details that you may submit to us or that may be included in the information provided to us by third parties.
Such information is maintained on one or more databases as is reasonably required to serve you and operate the Sites.
1.2 Information Collected Automatically
In addition to the information you provide to us, we may use a variety of technologies that automatically collect certain information whenever you visit or interact with the Sites (collectively, “Usage Information”). Usage Information may include:
- browser type, hardware, mobile network information, internet service provider (ISP), referring/exit pages, operating system, and date/time stamps,
- internet protocol (IP) addresses or universally unique identifier (UUID), or other unique identifiers automatically assigned to your device (“Device Identifier”)
- location and geographic information, and/or
- clickstream data, including information about the pages visited, time spent on each page, and the path taken through the website.
We may combine this automatically collected log information with other information we collect about you. We do this to improve marketing, analytics, and site functionality. However, if we associate Usage Information with Personal or Sensitive Personal Information, we will treat it as Sensitive Personal Information.
We use a variety of methods and technologies to store or collect Usage Information (collectively, “Tracking Technologies“), including:
Cookies – A cookie is a small amount of information that’s downloaded to your computer or device when you visit our Sites. We use a number of different cookies, including functional, performance, advertising, and social media or content cookies. Cookies make your browsing experience better by allowing the website to remember your actions and preferences (such as login and region selection). Cookies also provide information on how frequently people use the website, for instance whether it’s their first time visiting or if they are a return visitor.
You can control and manage cookies in various ways. However, please keep in mind that removing or blocking cookies can negatively impact your user experience and parts of our website may no longer be fully accessible.
Most browsers automatically accept cookies, but you can choose whether or not to accept cookies through your browser controls, often found in your browser’s “Tools” or “Preferences” menu.
Additionally, please note that blocking cookies may not completely prevent how we share information with third parties such as our advertising partners. To exercise your rights or opt-out of certain uses of your information, please follow the instructions in Section 5 below.
Web Beacons – Web beacons are small images that may be included in our Sites and in our messages and may be used for a variety of purposes, including:
- counting visitors to the Sites,
- monitoring how users navigate the Sites,
- counting how many sent emails were opened, or
- counting how many particular links were viewed
Embedded Scripts – An embedded script collects information about how you use the Sites. The code is temporarily downloaded onto your device while you are connected to the Sites and is deactivated or deleted when you leave.
Entity tags – entity tags are unique identifiers assigned to a specific version of the resource that exists on the server. If the resource content ever changes, a new and different entity tag is assigned. Entity tags may generate unique tracking values even when the user blocks cookies.
A/B Testing – A/B testing is a user experience research methodology which compares the performance of two versions of content to see which one appeals more to users.
Recognition Technologies – Recognition technologies make assumptions about users and devices such as analyzing whether a user of multiple devices is the same user.
1.3 Information provided from other sources.
Other sources of personal information include social media, advertisements, and information obtained from third parties.
2. How Is Your Information Used?
We use your information to communicate with you about our company, which includes appointment reminders, promotional offerings, and related notifications about our products and services. Additionally, when permitted by the preferences you have shared with us, we may also use your information to provide you with information or advertising relating to our products or services. We also use your personal information to support our business functions, such as fraud prevention, marketing, and legal functions, which may include:
- Creating, managing, and maintaining your account on our Sites
- Record keeping of your purchase and service history
- Enabling communication via our Sites, and social networks
- Managing your participation in promotions
- Automated decision-making (data profiling)
- Sending email as permitted
- Complying with law
3. How and When Information Is Shared With Third Parties
Your information, including Personal Information, may be shared with third parties, including parent, subsidiary and affiliated companies and partners and our third-party processors in order to:
- Provide products and services to you. As described in Section 2, we may use third-party vendors to perform certain services on your behalf, such as the operation, design and hosting of the Sites, tracking analytical information on the Sites, and marketing, administrative, and financial services (including order processing).
- Protect the interests of Hippo and others. We may use and share your information, including Personal Information, in order to comply with applicable law, regulation, or legal process, to comply with a subpoena, warrant, or court order, to protect the safety or security of the Site or any third-party, and to detect, prevent or address fraud or technical issues.
- Transfer the business or business interests. We may share and transfer your information, including Personal Information, to a successor entity in the event of a merger, consolidation, acquisition or similar transaction, including, without limitation, the sale of all or substantially all of our interests or assets.
Sharing of information for the above purposes may be completed without notice.
4. How long is Personal Information Retained?
We only retain your personal information for as long as necessary to fulfill the purposes for which it was collected. This includes satisfying any legal, accounting, or reporting requirements.
5. How Can You Change or Delete Your Information, Opt-Out of Certain Practices Regarding the Use of Your Information, and Change Your Communication Preferences?
You may view or change information you have provided to us by contacting Hippo at firstname.lastname@example.org or via USPS to 410 North Scottsdale Road, Suite 1000, Tempe, Arizona 85281. We may ask you to provide additional information before making these changes in order to verify your identity.
With some restrictions, you may make several requests of us with regard to your Personal Information, including requests, at any time, to:
- correct your Personal Information. You may request that we correct or supplement any incomplete or inaccurate Personal Information that we hold about you.
- provide access to your Personal Information. You may request a copy of the Personal Information we hold about you, free of charge. Please note, that we cannot provide your full credit card numbers.
- transfer your Personal Information. You may request we provide an electronic copy of the information you have provided to us to be shared in a format that may be sent to a third party.
- delete your Personal Information. You may request that we delete all or certain elements of your Personal Information. Please note, it is not always possible to completely delete information from our systems due to regulatory requirements or automatic data backup or archival methods.
- “Opt-out” or direct us not to sell your Personal Information. You may submit a request directing us not to, or to stop selling, your Personal Information. In addition, the following opt-out options are available to you to control or limit the use of information you provide:
- Limit Targeted Advertising – You may also reduce some targeted advertising by following the opt-out procedures provided by the Network Advertising Initiative (“NAI”) or if you are a California resident, pursuant to California Civil Code Section § 1798.83, you may request that your personal information not be shared with other companies for marketing purposes by contacting us at the email or address listed below.
- Prevent future promotional offers from Hippo – We endeavor to only provide communications to Users who wish to receive them. In furtherance of this goal, all emails include an opt-Out option and text message communications include an opt-In function to receiving information. If at any time, you do not wish to receive future promotional offers from Hippo, please contact us at the email or mailing address listed below. If we have sent you a promotional email, you may also opt-Out or unsubscribe from such communications by following the procedures described in the email.
If you would like to make a request or exercise any of these rights or options, please contact Hippo at email@example.com or by writing via USPS to 410 North Scottsdale Road, Suite 1000, Tempe, Arizona 85281. For opt-out requests relating to digital marketing, please visit the Digital Advertising Alliance’s (DAA) opt-out portal.
Please note, if you refuse to provide your Personal Information to Hippo or request that it delete or stop selling your Personal Information, and that Personal Information or sale is necessary for Hippo to provide you with requested goods or services, Hippo may not be able to complete that transaction.
If you would like to designate an authorized agent to submit any information request on your behalf, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We will make good faith efforts to make the requested changes as soon as reasonably possible. However, we may need to retain prior information as business records in some limited circumstances.
Please note that because there is no consistent industry understanding of how to respond to “Do Not Track” signals, we do not alter our data collection and usage practices when we detect such a signal from your browser.
6. What Rights Do You Have With Respect To Your Information?
State law provides users with several rights concerning the control over Personal Information, including:
6.1 Right to Know. Users have the right to request disclosure of what personal data has been collected, used, shared or sold about them as well as the reason why the business used the Personal Information.
6.2 Right to Delete. Users have the right to request that their Personal Information be deleted (with some exceptions).
6.3 Right to limit the Use and Disclosure of Sensitive Personal Information. Users may also limit use and disclosure of Sensitive Personal Information for the sole purpose of providing requested goods and services by clicking [LIMIT THE USE OF MY SENSITIVE PERSONAL INFORMATION].
6.3 Right to Opt-Out. Users have the right to request that the company stops selling, sharing or disclosing their Personal Information or opt-Out of automated decision making (data profiling) by clicking [DO NOT SELL MY PERSONAL INFORMATION].
6.4 Right of Non-Discrimination. Hippo shall not deny goods or services, charge you a different price or provide a different level of services just because you elected to change or delete your information, exercised any of the opt-out options described above, or if you are a California resident, asserted any right under the CPRA.
Additional Rights Under The California Privacy Rights Act and California Consumer Privacy Act
If you are a California resident, under the California Privacy Rights Act (“CPRA“) and California Consumer Privacy Act (“CCPA“), you have the right to access or request the deletion of any Personal Information we hold about you and the right, at any time, to opt-out of the sale or sharing of your personal information. In addition, California residents who have an established business relationship with Hippo are entitled to request and obtain a list of Personal Information we have shared with third parties, including the categories of information and the names and addresses of those businesses with which we have shared such information. To request this information and for any other questions about our privacy practices and compliance with California law, please contact us at the email or phone number listed below.
7. How is Children’s Information Processed?
Hippo’s Sites are not intended for children and we encourage parents and guardians to be aware of and monitor the websites visited by their children. We do not knowingly collect any Personal Information from children under 18 years of age. If Hippo learns that a child under the age of 18 has submitted Personal Information to our Sites without guardian or parental consent, we will take all reasonable measures to remove or delete such information as soon as practicable and not use such information for any purpose, except where necessary to protect the safety of the child or others or as required or allowed by law. If you believe a child under age 18 has provided us with Personal Information, please contact us at email@example.com.
8. Where are our Sites Hosted?
Our Sites operate in the United States. If you are visiting our Sites from outside the United States, your information may be transferred to, stored, processed and used in the United States in accordance with this Privacy Notice and applicable US laws. Specifically, your information may also be subject to access requests from governments, courts, or law enforcement according to the laws of the United States. By using our Sites, you consent to the transfer of your information to our facilities and the practices described in this Privacy Notice.
9. How Is Information Secured?
We have instituted reasonable safeguards to promote the security of information collected on our Sites. Nevertheless, the Sites are not secure websites and Hippo cannot and does not make any representations or warranties about the privacy or security of any information transmitted over the Internet or maintained in our systems. You agree that any data you provide through the Sites is provided at your own risk and Hippo is not responsible or liable to you for any lack of privacy or security you may experience. You are fully responsible for taking precautions and providing security measures best suited for your situation and intended use of the Sites.
Hippo may provide links to third-party websites that we do not own or control. We are not responsible for the security or information collection practices of any website that we do not own or control. We encourage you to review and understand the privacy practices of third-party websites before using or accessing such sites or providing any information to or through them.
10. Third-Party Links and Sites.
The Sites may link or connect you to third-party websites. Hippo has no control over any third-party websites, or the services or products available on such websites, and therefore assumes no responsibility or liability, of any kind or nature whatsoever, for the content, privacy policies, or practices of any such third-party websites. You acknowledge and agree that Hippo shall not be responsible or liable, directly or indirectly, for any damage or loss caused or alleged to be caused by or in connection with the use of or reliance on any content, privacy practices, products or services available on or through any such third-party website.
11. Limitations of Liability
HIPPO WILL NOT BE LIABLE FOR ANY DAMAGES, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO ANY CONSEQUENTIAL, INCIDENTAL, INDIRECT, SPECIAL, CONTINGENT, OR PUNITIVE DAMAGES THAT MAY RESULT FROM THE USE OR DISCLOSURE OF ANY INFORMATION OR MATERIALS PROVIDED, SUBMITTED OR OTHERWISE COLLECTED AS A RESULT OF THE USER’S ACCESS OR USE OF HIPPO’S SITES, WHETHER CAUSED BY ERROR, OMISSION, INTERRUPTION, DEFECT, DELAY, COMPUTER VIRUS, UNLAWFUL THIRD-PARTY ACTIVITY SUCH AS A DATA BREACH OR HACKING, OR OTHERWISE AND WHETHER THE ACTION IS BASED IN CONTRACT, TORT, STATUTE, FRAUD, MISREPRESENTATION, OR ANY OTHER LEGAL THEORY.
12. Changes to our Privacy
We may, at any time and without notice, modify and update this Privacy Notice by revising it on the Sites in order to reflect, for example, changes to our practices or for other operational, legal, or regulatory reasons.
Your continued use of any of the Sites constitutes your acceptance of any such revisions. You should therefore periodically visit this page to review the current Privacy Notice. If you have any questions or suggestions regarding our privacy standards please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
13. Who can I Contact With Questions?
For more information about our privacy practices, if you have questions, or if you would like to make a complaint, please contact us by e-mail at email@example.com.