March is Pet Poison Prevention Awareness Month.
Familiarize yourself with these signs of poisoning in dogs and cats so you know when to seek help.
Signs of poisoning in dogs and cats can range tremendously based on the underlying poison. If you think your dog or cat has been poisoned, call your veterinarian or Pet Poison Helpline at 855-764-7661 immediately for assistance! When it comes to poisoning, the sooner you treat your dog or cat, the better the outcome.
While this list is not exhaustive or complete, some common signs of poisoning generally include:
- Coughing of blood
- Vomiting blood
- Pale gums
- A racing heart rate
- Weakness or lethargy
- Halitosis (“uremic” breath)
- Excessive thirst or urination
- Absence or decreased urination
- Jaundice/icterus/yellow discoloration to the gums
- Weakness or collapse secondary to a low blood sugar
- Dull mentation, acting abnormally
- Black-tarry stool (melena)