- Rattlesnakes are out and about when you and your pet are – early mornings, late afternoons, and early evenings.
- Don’t let dogs get ahead on walks and explore places where snakes can hide.
- If your pet is bitten, get to a vet right away.
- Rattlesnake antivenin is very expensive so prevention is preferred.
- If your dog can’t stay away from snakes consider the rattlesnake vaccine or snake-proofing your pet through a variety of snake-avoidance techniques.
If you leave your pet outside, which is not recommended, make sure the animal has a shaded area as well as plenty of water in a dish that will not tip over easily leaving him with nothing to drink on a hot day.
And remember the best cure for the Summertime Blues is . . . October!