- Do you have a pool…and a pet? Many pets love the water but even good swimmers may be bad at finding their way out so teach them where the steps are.
- Dogs love to go for rides in the car but with this heat, if you can’t take the pet into the store with you, leave him at home.
- Never, ever leave pets in the car, not even with the windows open.
- Even your own yard and neighborhood has dangers.
- Many pets get cactus spines stuck on their muzzles and elsewhere. Extracting them can be a lengthy, painful process so teach your pet to avoid them.
- Adjust your pet’s exercise routine just as you adjust yours. Walk your dog very early in the morning or at sunset or later.
- Remember, hot pavement hurts their paws just as it would your bare feet.
If you leave your pet outside, which is not recommended, make sure the animal has a shaded area as well as plenty of water in a dish that will not tip over easily leaving him with nothing to drink on a hot day.
And remember the best cure for the Summertime Blues is . . . October!