Well, maybe not intentionally, but
almost 1,000 household fires are caused by pets each year.
How does this happen? Take a walk through your home and consider all the potential fire hazards just waiting to become an inferno.
- Lit candles, fireplaces, BBQs
- Plug in deodorizers
- Stove top burners (especially flat glass)
- Electrical cords
Can your pet reach candles and topple them so they set something else on fire?
Will your pet chew on electrical cords or drag them so they cause something hot to fall?
Is there food cooking enticing your pet to jump up on the stove?
Repair, replace or remove these possible dangers and then…
- Don‘t leave pets unattended near an open flame
- Have pets microchipped so they can be returned if they escape during a fire
- Train pets to come when called
- Know their hiding places
- Post window stickers to let people know there are pets in the house
Consider the likely scenarios when and how a fire could occur in your home- daytime, at night, when people are home and when no one is home. Every family should prepare for these eventualities with drills and an escape plan which should include the family’s pets. For more ideas on keeping your pets safe from fire visit the National Fire Protection Association’s pet web page.
Contact your San Tan Valley Veterinarians at Johnson Ranch Animal Clinic 480-987-4555. You can call or text us at this number!